Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day

Memorial Day is special to me, not only as an American, but also as a daughter.  My Daddy, started his service by joining the Air Force in 1966 and while he retired after more than 20 years of service he continued to work with military minded companies until he retired earlier this year.  From the moment my Father could serve his country he did.  He is patriotism in the flesh. The flag is more than freedom to me, it was a way of life.  I along with several of my eight siblings were born on military bases, in military hospitals, with the help of military doctors.  Some of our first and oldest friendships began as our Mother took the reins as my Dad 'traveled for work', and befriended other military families.  I have yet to be able to sing the National Anthem without tearing up and even sometimes bawling.  


Retired SMSgT Kenneth Cates

"All the great things are simple and many can be expressed in a single word: 
freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
Winston Churchill

My Soldier, My Daddy

You chose a road less followed by others; 
sacrificed yourself to protect your brothers.

Gave all you had and trusted the Father, 
Traveled, moved, and fought...to you it didn't matter.

To you it was your path, your destiny, your call;
To insure freedom was secure and liberty would not fall.

My Daddy, My Hero

Jenni Carlisle, Memorial Day 2007

Memorial Day is also a special day as a sister-in-law to an active military serviceman.  My brother-in-law, Corey Carlisle is currently at home, but has served his country in three tours for Operation Iraqi Freedom.


Corey Carlisle

Corey and his wife Laryn gave us a priceless gift this Christmas, a flag flown in Iraq while he was on one of his tours with a thank you plaque for supporting the troops.

  
It reads:

To Randall and Jennifer Carlisle
This American flag was flown over the Al Faw Palace on Camp Victory in Baghdad, Iraq 
during Operation Iraqi Freedom on July 4, 2009.  On behalf of the 
Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines we thank you for your continued support.


Please, please, please pray for our active military men and women, as well as, their families.  Thank a soldier when you see them in public. And please remember Freedom isn't free.

0 comments: